• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

can you be an occasional smoker?

mgmt&mdma

Bluelighter
just as the title says, can you be an occasional smoker? id only be smoking 1 or 2 ciggarettes per weekend. (for the record id only do it so i could leave the house and escape the living hellhole that is my "home")

im pretty strong mentally. like i have the willpower to say no to drugs. but i hear all of this stuff about how cigarrettes will get you addicted no matter what.

Also are they really THAT bad for you? im SUPER anal about making sure i stay healthy, my medicine cabinet is like stock-piled with vitamins/supplements and i excersize alot n eat healthy, haha i think the anti-smoking campaign has really gotten to me.

anyways any help with my questions are greatly appreciated:)

PLUR, -Nick

Yes, cigarettes are really THAT bad for you. I smoked for two years and towards the end got up to almost two packs a day. After I quit, I started hacking up all this black gunk--Think mucus but a bit thicker. Was not pleasant. That being in your lungs causes not enough oxygen to be able to get in to your lungs and possibly not enough carbon dioxide to be released from your body, causing all kinds of issues.

I don't know of the health effects for an occasional smoker, but yes, cigarettes ARE awful for you.

As far as "can you be an occasional smoker," sure: I've known a few people who will smoke cigarettes while high (or even some of 'em while sober), but only have one or two, and then not smoke for weeks. It's not unheard of.

If I were you, I'd find a better way to escape your "hellhole." Couldn't you just go for a walk minus the cigarettes? I know cigarettes calm ya down, but so does a nice walk. :)

btw everyone just starts smoking 2 ciggies a weekend, then its only smoking at parties, then its only smoking with friends and next thing you know your smoking a pack a day at home

and ciggies are shitty because most people that smoke have or are trying to quit, because after the first few you dont get that much out of them

but then again, who wants to live to 80 anyways ;)

I won't go into health effects, as it is really debatable. What cigarettes are hypothesized to do, and what science has shown us tend to be very different things. By all means cigarettes are not good for you by any stretch of the imagination, but these anti smoking campaigns really blow it out of proportion. They have an agenda, and are willing to stretch the truth a bit if they think it will help them succeed...

As for the other question, yes it is possible to be an occasional smoker. I really only enjoy smoking while on opiates, as it has an awesome effect, and I enjoy it. Sober however, cigs are a waste of time to me, and can actually make me anxious. It is only occasional I dabble with opiates, so cigarettes are the same story. I have known plenty of "social smokers," who really only do it at parties, and have been that way for years. I know a large amount of people who do a cigarette here and there, but don't do them frequently, and have had the same routine for years. Not everyone becomes addicted to nicotine, I find smoking constantly really to be unsatisfying, so it is far easier for me to use them occasionally rather than habitually. I've never felt the need to smoke constantly, or for no reason.

I've been a social smoker on and off for years. Just at parties and at the bar sometimes. If I'm not around my smoking friends then its not really an issue. Its something I want to quit though. Even though I only do it occasionally I notice the negative effects on my lungs and throat the next day. But it is a great way to meet people I have to say.

just as the title says, can you be an occasional smoker? id only be smoking 1 or 2 ciggarettes per weekend. (for the record id only do it so i could leave the house and escape the living hellhole that is my "home")
Yes it is possible, I'm an occasional smoker.
BUT it's very very rare and to be perfectly honest I think I'm a bit of a freak of nature because of it.

btw everyone just starts smoking 2 ciggies a weekend, then its only smoking at parties, then its only smoking with friends and next thing you know your smoking a pack a day at home
Not everyone ;)

I smoke maybe 1-4 cigarettes a month (depending on my social outings during said month). I buy a packet and it lasts me about 5-6 months. I even have the packet in my handbag so if at any given time I want a cigarette, I can have one, it's just that I don't want one. I've been this way for about 5 years. Prior to that I was a more regular smoker but only because my boyfriend and all my friends smoked, and I was raving every weekend. But most of the time even though I was smoking regularly, if I didn't have a cigarette I didn't crave one. It was just a social thing.

For me it's not a psychological thing or an issue of willpower or anything like that. For some reason I just don't get addicted to cigarettes....

So, yes it can be done. BUT it's MUCH MUCH more likely that you'll become addicted.

Depends on you man. Some people can keep it occasional like that, but it's extremely easy to make a habit of it.

Honestly cigarettes can be a complete nightmare once the habit sets in. It's an illusion of pleasure/satisfaction/whatever. For me the "comfort" is in the habit itself, so having an occasional cigarette doesn't serve a purpose. It is like a sort of safety blanket that gets carried around everywhere and makes me smell like stale smoke. And people sure don't seem shy about commenting on how unhealthy, smelly, etc., it is.

Anyways I'm just bitter because I just had another failed quit attempt. Best of luck to you :)

It's defiinitely possible - I have friends who smoke 5-10 a week and have done for years, and with no cravings inbeteween.

Absolutely no way I could do that - was 25/30 a day for 22 years...been stopped for 6 years now though - best thing I ever did. Tis a pointless, stupid drug, ugh.

Most people who say they are of with occasional smoking though are either lying or on denial, and suffer almost constant withdrawal...nice

Smoking is great. Yes you can keep it to a minimum... just set yourself a rule RIGHT NOW about how many you will smoke at maximum a day or week.. and dont break that rule. Once you do you know its time to quit.

We as(mostly) westerners have the luxury of being able to smoke - so do it!

I have a friend whos in his 50's maybe 60's and he manages to still smoke just like 2 or 3 a day.

i started out smoking occasionally, when having a drink, at weekends and the like. 6 years on i now smoke about ten a day.

i want to quit but dont have the motivation. ie it seems easier to just carry on smoking

can anyone who has quit offer some reasons why they quit, and benefits that they got, as well as the best techniques as i never saw the point in nicotine substitutes as your still addicted right?

thanks for your time, LL

I used to smoke around a pack a day for a few years - gave them up - now days i am an occasional smoker and i don't seem to get addicted. I have proven to myself it's all in the head. I can go out partying and smoke a pack through the night then not even want to touch them again for months on end. It can be done.

Yeah, you can - a couple a weekend isn't really occasional though - that's still regularly, on the weekends.

I hoped this was going to be about ganja...

Oh well...

It's hard, especially if it's every weekend or so, you can find it escalating pretty qquick, no matter how high your willpower is - do you drink or do drugs occasionally too?

i want to quit but dont have the motivation. ie it seems easier to just carry on smoking

can anyone who has quit offer some reasons why they quit, and benefits that they got, as well as the best techniques as i never saw the point in nicotine substitutes as your still addicted right?

I quit when I started hacking up black gunk and after taking a six mile bike ride that nearly killed me. I used to bike six miles minimum basically every day. I also read a book (The Easy Way To Stop Smoking by Allen Carr) that transformed my views on cigarettes. After reading that book, I had one last pack: Before I opened it, I told myself that would be my last pack--When I got down towards the end, I was only smoking three or four a day (from 20).

Since I've stopped smoking, my health is much better: I'm no longer coughing up black gunk, I can do six miles on my bike relatively easily, and I'm not a slave to cigarettes. Oh, and I don't smell of smoke. :p

Best of luck--Keep us posted. If you want more advice, feel free to PM. :)

Yes you can, lots of people just smoke cigarettes socially or only when they drink alcohol.

I know some people who only smoke cigs when they take MDMA or speed.

LL, cut down and then quit cold turkey.

I smoke a cigar ever 1-2 weeks. Usually 1-3 cigarettes once a month with opioids.

We as(mostly) westerners have the luxury of being able to smoke - so do it!

wat? if that first part was an actual point, how does it lead to the second?

firstly travel to some "non western" countries. i've found people smoke a lot more in the east. they smoke EVERYWHERE.

secondly, smoking is simply fucking retarded. what you get v what it costs just does not add up. headbutt a wall, you'll get a buzz and it won't kill you. pay for the pleasure also while you're at it. just because you are able to do something, doesn't mean you should.

i only smoke on friday or saturday nights when im off my face. i have zero desire to smoke when sober. i guess this could be regarded as occasional smoking

I used to smoke a cigarette while hanging with friends in my early collegiate days. It got to the point where the cigarettes were not synergizing well with any other substance I consumed, including alcohol, so I stopped altogether. I'm thankful that I never did get sucked into their grasp 8)

Why not toke some cannabis instead of tobacco whilst spending time away from the household %)

wat? if that first part was an actual point, how does it lead to the second?

firstly travel to some "non western" countries. i've found people smoke a lot more in the east. they smoke EVERYWHERE.

secondly, smoking is simply fucking retarded. what you get v what it costs just does not add up. headbutt a wall, you'll get a buzz and it won't kill you. pay for the pleasure also while you're at it. just because you are able to do something, doesn't mean you should.

No i think your wrong.

First, people smoke everywhere yes, but its not as cool if your an arab or whatever.

and second, banging your head on the wall does kill you. And it hurts. Smoking feels good and doesnt kill you, so why not?